Donate Books and More
The Friends depend on donations of gently used books, DVDs, CDs, and records to stock our Main Library bookshop and book sales. Some donated items may be added to the Library’s collection, but the great majority are sold to raise money for library programs.
Please read the donation guidelines below. You can greatly help the volunteers if you donate only saleable books and other media. It takes time, space, and energy to sort out and recycle damaged, outdated, and unsaleable material—typically over a ton of unsaleable books every week. Help us by recycling unsaleable books in your blue City of Albuquerque recycle bins.
What we ACCEPT:
- Gently used hardback and paperback books, fiction and non-fiction, for children, young adults and adults
- Antique and collectible books
- Commercially recorded CDs (music and audio books), DVDs, and records
- Certain art, maps, and ephemera (please call us to discuss whether your donation would be appropriate)
What we DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Damaged books (broken spines, missing covers, stained, mildewed)
- Textbooks over 5 years old
- Law Codes or Statutes
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Surplus material from other institutions
- Outdated computer, business, current events, medical, travel books and such
- Magazines or books published by magazines. (We DO accept the current six months of monthlies and six weeks of weeklies in the Main Library Bookshop only).
- Cassettes and VHS tapes
Where and When to Donate
- Small donations (one or two bags) may be dropped off during regular hours at any branch library except Ernie Pyle, Westgate or Special Collections. Do check library hours, which are subject to change.
- Larger donations should be brought to the Main Library during current library hours
- For fewer than 10 boxes, you may bring them to the rear (north alley) door of the Main Library. Call the “Donation” number on the telephone at the rear door. (If no answer, call the library number.) Please do not leave the boxes outside.
- For more than 10 boxes, please call 768-5167 to make an appointment for delivery.
Value of your Donation
Your donation is tax deductible. Although we are unable to assign a dollar value to your donation, we are happy to give you a receipt at the time of drop-off.
Questions? Call (505) 768-5167
More Ways to Help the Friends in Support of the Library
Membership and Donations